Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises

I'm not a big Batman fan and wasn't expecting much from The Dark Knight Rises. Surprisingly, the only thing I didn't like about it was the violence. Unlike the cartoon violence in The Avengers, it was much too brutal, with some distressingly similar to the recent killings in Aurora, CO.  I also found it difficult from time to time to understand what the villain, Bane, was saying.

Aside from these drawbacks, and before re-watching the first two films, I thought that this was the best of the trilogy. There were some interesting surprises, particularly when I was sure I had a couple of plot lines figured out. Christian Bale was OK (I can take or leave him); Gary Oldman was good; Morgan Freeman was his always calm and reassuring self; Anne Hathaway showed her versatility; and Michael Caine delivered a moving performance (my first bought of tears in the movie). The real treat was to see Joseph Gordon-Levitt playing a strong role. I've enjoyed watching him grow as an actor over the past few years.

By the end of the film, I found myself sobbing, a sure sign that I liked it.

No comments: